Sunday, March 12, 2006

When a boy becomes a Man

I had a proud Father moment while I was sailing with my son on the Chesapeak Bay. As the day started we had some OK wind and were chugging along out to Thomas Point Light at about 3 to 4 knots. As the Sun rose highger in the sky the winds become lower and lower to the point where we we mayby going one to two knots. Proud moment number one is that I did not hear one complaint out of my son. He just asked if he could work the ropes or if he cold get somthing to eat. For a 7 year old to be going 1-2 knots and not be board was really cool.

By the time that we got out to Thomas point light I was board and we decided that we were going to motor back in. Here comes my son and he asks if he can helm the boat. At first I am a little hesitant because that last time we were on the boat he had some issues keeping the boat on line. The difference was that we had the sails up last time and he was not as big. This time the Sails were down and the motor was running. So I told him "here is the tiller and you want to keep the boat on a heading of 240 degrees" My friend and I watched him for about 5 - 10 min. and he did not waver. I was Shocked.

He would not take his eyes off of the Compass which was a really neat thing to watch. You could tell that he just wanted to get this right. In order to build up his confidence a little more my friend sugessted that we go to the Bow of the boat. A little hesitant again but I decided to go ahead up to the Bow of the Boat. From Thomas Point light to the entrace of the river you have to hit a eading of 240 degrees. We sat on the Bow of the Boat for about 30 min. and my son did not waver. He has started the path to becoming a strong and steady helmsman. I COULD NOT BE PROUDER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He stuck it. we were within 100 feet of the Bouy.

My little boy is growing up.

1 Comments:

At 11:04 PM, Blogger All Rounder said...

That's pretty awesome, Colin. Especially since you could see the improvement from the last time.

I bet the proud feeling you had for him pales in comparison to the feeling he had in making you proud.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home